Any season, any occasion, is the “most wonderful time of the year” to spread harmony and love. Thoughtful presents are often part of that scene. So, here’s a gift-giving guide — from the progressive point of view. Rebels and survivalists will appreciate it, too.
Whether your gift-giving style is homemade, store bought, or just plain money, this collection of meaningful presents will make any leftist throw a fist in the air. (And, perhaps, even inspire corporate capitalists to ponder true abundance, peace, and goodwill!)
Updated November 22, 2021
Before you start your gift list, you may like to review a few tips:
- How to Choose Great Eco-friendly Gifts | Mindset Eco (scroll down a bit)
- Zero Waste Gift Wrapping | Trash Is for Tossers
- How to Responsibly Dispose of Gift Wrap | Trash Is for Tossers
- Allégorie Vegan Bags & Wallets are created from cactus, mangos, and apple peels! The company is committed to “ethical and responsible fashion,” including workers’ rights.
Women-owned, independent, and socially responsible, Allégorie is committed to pushing the boundary of sustainable fashion while solving the food waste problem, one fruit at a time.– Allégorie “About Us” Page
- Boden Baby Clothes are adorable. All of Boden’s clothing lines are manufactured with sustainability, ethics, and quality in mind. These baby duds are meant to be passed on.
- Peace Buttons make excellent stocking stuffers, gift decorations, and hat adornments for any progressive on your gift list. Peace Buttons sells “liberal and progressive buttons ONLY.” Union-printed and made in Detroit.
- REI outdoor gear and apparel are dear to the heart of true leftists. As a worker-owned-and-operated cooperative, REI is a democratic workplace.
- Troublemakers Union apparel is perfect for the picket line. Purchases support Labor Notes, a publication for union activists.
- Vintage Scarves are fabulous gifts for a planet conscious fashion connoisseur.
- Budget: Second Hand Swank
- Moderate: thredUP
- Luxury: What Goes Around Comes Around
- WoolOvers creates knitwear from natural fibers that lasts and doesn’t go out of style. The company is a member of the Sustainable Fibre Alliance. Give a cozy gift that will be loved for many years.
- Worn Wear recycles Patagonia’s sustainable outdoor gear and apparel for men and women. Find useful gifts for the consumption-responsible outdoor enthusiast.
Arts & Crafts
- Make a Rag Rug from old clothing and fabric scraps. It might become an heirloom gift that will be passed down through generations.
- Knit a Pair of Fingerless Gloves for loved ones living in Cold Country. Fingerless gloves are a quick knitting project, but sure to impress. (Start knitting now! Make several pairs!)
- Poshmark offers “secondhand style for women, men, kids, pets, home, and more.” Find something stylish for the brand-conscious conservationist.
- Red Berets for Medicare for All knit and crochet red hats to raise money to fund universal healthcare advocacy. Follow the website link for the store. If you knit, you’ll want to download a classic knit beret pattern. (Add a “Medicare for All” button.)
- Prepare a Vegan Feast for family and friends to celebrate the holidays. Yes, jokes about mock meat are allowed — it’s a gift of food, companionship, and fun!
- Vegan Truffles or Energy Balls — A festive gift from the kitchen that everyone will enjoy.
- Vegan Rose-Flavored Turkish Delight — Get the Turkish Delight recipe at Yumsome.
- Alter Eco Vegan Chocolate Bars range from 60% to 100% dark chocolate. They’re “crafted from organic cacao by farmers who are replanting tropical forests in South America.”
- The Wonderful Wine is sustainably farmed, low sugar, diet-friendly, vegan, keto, and paleo. Wine-lovers on your gift list will beam! (A review.)
- The Nation Travel Excursion makes an unforgettable gift, if you have the big bucks. The tours are designed for “adventurous, intellectually curious, and open-minded progressives.” Carbon offsets are included.
- Mind and Soul Expanding Media make great presents for progressives who love books and films.
- Thriftbook Used Books make an ideal present for green-conscious bibliophiles. Recycled books are environmentally responsible, and budget-friendly for small book collections.
- Donate to Animal Legal Defense Fund to honor an animal-loving friend. “The legal voice for all animals… files high-impact lawsuits to protect animals from harm,” and much more. ALDF is rated a 4-star charity by Charity Navigator.
- Donate to Democracy Now! in honor of a respected friend or family member who appreciates independent global, domestic, and activist news. (Follow this link for more independent news and commentary outlets.)
- Donate to a Noncorporate Candidate in honor of someone who loves American democracy and freedom.
Sustainable to Survival
- Self Watering Microgreens Kit is the perfect gift for the window sill gardener.
- Mason Jar Sprouting Kit — Assemble the kit yourself. You’ll need:
- 32-oz wide-mouth mason jar (Ball or Kerr)
- Screen sprouting lid with feet
- Organic sprouting seeds
- How-to instructions
- Optional: rustic/vintage/pretty/attractive saucer or shallow bowl (The sprouting jar, with sprouting lid, will stand upside down on a saucer or in shallow bowl, to drain.)
- Container Gardening Seeds and Cookbooks from Renee’s Garden make a lovely present for patio gardeners.
- Tumbler Composter is a delight-inducing gift for sustainable gardeners.
- Janome Treadle Powered Sewing Machine runs without electricity! This is a magnificent gift for the sustainable tailor.
And last, but not least, for your…
Very Best Friends
- Collapsible Dog Travel Bowls from Rocky Mountain Dog, a proud carbon neutral company.
- Crunchy Dog Treats for your best friend’s delight, in all kinds of wild, delicious flavors! They are produced by a caring community and planet-responsible company.
- Interactive Dog Toys dispense treats and challenge canine puzzle-busting abilities.
- Lo-Cal, No-Cook Dog Treats From Your Kitchen make a party! Enjoy a few bites of fresh veggies and fruit, together, to celebrate your dog’s favorite winter holiday.