LAST UPDATED: August 24, 2021
The 2021 Covid-19 vaccine program rolled out successfully in the United States. The threat of a highly contagious serious disease is over. For the first time in over a year, most people can move about society mask-free and carefree. It’s a time to celebrate.
Still, the last 15 months have revealed the ragged, ugly depth of societal problems in America. More citizens now understand that we can no longer take the basics for granted. Living wages, health care, rent, police integrity, and democracy are under savage assault.
Even as we celebrate our restored public health and the freedom to move about this weekend, let’s remain aware of the mounting urgency for people to join the Good Fight. Maybe this Memorial Day will launch an incredible “Summer of Political and Social Action.” Particularly, if you help make it happen.
Good Fights – Summer 2021
Everyone can get involved in Good Fights, one way or another. If you can’t attend an action event in person, you may support it online or donate some money to the cause.
Here’s an agenda of nonviolent protests and civil disobedience, and issue advocacy happenings, that are going down this Summer. Bookmark this page. I’ll update you on all the nationally organized action events I learn about — that are taking place this June, July, and August. (Remember the sunscreen!)
If you’re looking for a Good Fight right in your own neighborhood, check into the regional chapters of activist groups. You may find one near you.
JUNE 2021 Political & Social Action
- Sign the Just Recovery form Covid-19 open letter at 350.org. Online.
- Sign a petition to “Demand the U.S. Government stop funding fossil fuel projects abroad” at Friends of the Earth. Online.
- Tell your Members of Congress to “sponsor the End Polluter Welfare Act to end fossil fuel subsidies” at Greenpeace USA. Online.
- Tell Your Senators to “fix our broken democracy and pass the ‘For The People Act’” at Sierra Club. Online.
- via email at Roots Action. Online.
- Tell Congress and the President We Need a Green New Deal Now via email at Roots Action. Online.
- Sign Win Without War’s petition that states: The 4th Amendment is not for sale!. Online.
- Sign the Daily Kos petition to tell Congress: Stop funding war and militarism — invest in our communities! Online.
- Tell Your Representative to Support The Third Reconstruction Act! at CodePink. Online.
- Sign the petition to Fix the Filibuster at Common Cause. Online.
- Check out your local Sunrise Movement events. Online.
- JUNE 1, 2021 – Join the Represent.us national phonebank to pass the “For the People Act” in the Senate. Online.
- JUNE 1, 2021 – Join Represent.us for a Meme-Making Workshop. Online.
- JUNE 1, 2021 – Peace Collective Book Club: A History of the World in Seven Cheap Things. Hosted by CodePink’s under-age-30 Peace Collective group, who meet for educational opportunities in the form of book clubs and discussions. Online.
- JUNE 3, 2021 – Get Represent.us Meme Team Training to pass the “For the People Act.” Online.
- JUNE 5, 2021 – Sunrise is hosting the Good Jobs for All: National Kick-Off Teach-In. Online.
- JUNE 7, 2021 – Moral Monday: The Third Reconstruction Resolution. Organized by The Poor People’s Campaign. U.S. House Representative offices, Nationwide.
- JUNE 8, 2021 – Join Represent.us for a Meme-Making Workshop. Online.
- JUNE 9, 2021 – Join Represent.us for a Letter to the Editor training to pass the “For the People Act.” Online.
- JUNE 14-18, 2021 – Join the ACLU for a Systemic Equality Week of Action. Online.
- JUNE 20-21, 2021 – The Poor People’s Campaign launches their year-long “Third Reconstruction” campaign with the National Poor People’s and Low-Wage Workers Assembly. Online.
- Contact your representative to Defund the Pentagon Invest in Human Needs. The action is organized by CodePink. Online.
- JUNE 23, 2021 – Moral March on Manchin & McConnell. Organized by Poor People’s Campaign. Washington D.C.
- JUNE 27, 2021 – CodePink has organized the “Home Run for Julian” 2021 U.S. tour with Julian Assange’s father and brother to call “on the U.S. government to drop its prosecution and finally let Julian come home.” Los Angeles, California.
- JUNE 28, 2021 – DC Mobilization: No Compromise No Excuses to demand that the Biden Administration take serious climate action. Organized by Sunrise. Washington D.C.
JULY 2021 Political & Social Action
- Tell every Democrat in the House and Senate: No Climate, No Deal. Sponsored by Evergreen Action and Sunrise. Online.
- Tell Congress: Hold Big Tech Accountable. Sponsored by Common Dreams. Online.
- Urge Congress to support H.R. 2565, the FDA Modernization Act. It eliminates animal testing. Find the contact email at PETA. Online.
- Tell Congress: It’s time to end the Cuba embargo. Sponsored by CodePink. Online.
- Tell the USDA to Finish a Strong Origin of Livestock (OOL) Rule for organic dairy. The petition is sponsored by the Organic Farmers Association. Online.
- Tell Boeing to Stop Funding Seditious Republicans. The petition is sponsored by Public Citizen. Online.
- Tell world leaders to Stand with Earth Defenders. Find the petition at AVAAZ. Online.
- Tell your members of Congress to Support a Progressive, Pro-Peace Foreign Policy. The petition is sponsored by Peace Action. Online.
- Sign the petition to Congress to Fully Fund a Zero Emission Transit Policy, Including Zero Emission Bus Fleets Nationwide. Sponsored by Transit Justice. Online.
- Tell the U.S. Senate to End the Filibuster. The petition is organized by Our Revolution. Online.
- Tell Congress to Defend Abortion Access for All by supporting the Women’s Health Protection Act. The petition is sponsored by the ACLU. Online.
- Tell President Biden to Close Guantanamo! The petition is sponsored by Win Without War. Online.
- Join the Call For Fifa to Pressure Qatar to Protect Migrant Workers’ Rights. The petition is sponsored by Amnesty International. Online.
- Tell the State Department and Secretary Blinken to Stop the Home Thefts in Sheikh Jarrah. This petition is sponsored by CodePink. Online.
- Write to Congress and tell them what legislation to support. Sponsored by the Friends Committee on National Legislation. Online.
- Write a Letter-to-the-Editor to Newspapers in Your State regarding the National Popular Vote compact. Tips and assistance at National Popular Vote. Online.
- Join the Clean Up the Mines! campaign. It is supported by Popular Resistance and Roots Action.
- Advocate for National Improved Medicare for All. Sponsored by Health Over Profit. Online and local.
- Ban horse slaughter. Urge your senators to cosponsor the Carter-Fitzpatrick Amendment to the INVEST in America Act. Sponsored by PETA. Online.
- Show Oscar Mayer that there’s a growing demand for vegan meat. Sponsored by PETA. Online.
- Tell Corporations to Stop Funding ALEC. The petition is sponsored by Common Cause. Online.
- Tell Pelosi and Schumer No New Money for the Pentagon in the American Jobs Plan Bill. This petition is sponsored by Win Without War. Online.
- Take action to win Full Student Debt Cancellation. The petition is set up by Debt Collective. Online.
- Tell the House Appropriations Committee to eliminate funding for nuclear weapons in the 2022 Pentagon budget. The petition is sponsored by CodePink. Online.
- Sign the petition: No Gerrymandering in 2021. This petition is sponsored by Common Cause and other progressive action groups. Online.
- Tell President Biden: Appoint a Fifth FCC commissioner Now! (To restore Net Neutrality.) Sponsored by Demand Progress. Online.
- Tell President Biden: No troops to Haiti! A CodePink call to action. Online.
- Tell Cambodia: Release 6 Youth Environmental Activists Now. Petition sponsored by Amnesty International. Online.
- Tell Congress to cancel the F-35 Failed Fighter Jet. Petition sponsored by Win Without War. Online.
- Tell Congress to protect Amazon workers from dangerous workplace surveillance. Sponsored by Demand Progress. Online.
- Tell President Biden to lift the embargo on Cuba. Petition sponsored by CodePink. Online.
- JULY 10-11, 2021 – PETA’s virtual Animal Rights Conference. Online.
- JULY 12, 2021 – Launch from DC & Mass Moral Monday Call-In Day. Organized by Poor People’s Campaign. Online and by phone.
- JULY 17, 2021 – Good Trouble Vigils. Organized by Repairers of the Breach. Nationwide.
- JULY 19, 2021 – Women’s Moral March on Washington. Organized by Poor People’s Campaign. Washington D.C.
- JULY 24, 2021 – March for Medicare for All. This action is sponsored by a coalition of progressive organizations. Washington D.C. and nationwide sister marches.
- JULY 26, 2021 – Moral Monday Actions in States Across the Nation. Organized by Poor People’s Campaign. Nationwide.
- JULY 27, 2021 – Tune into Sierra Club’s Change Powered by People: Kick Off Call for a Summer of Collective Action. Online.
August 2021 Political & Social Action
- Tell Congress: Fund zero-emission public transportation in American cities. Sponsored by the Juggernaut Project. Online.
- Add your name to support the Green New Deal for Public Schools Act. Introduced by Rep. Jamaal Bowman. Online.
- Tell your Senators to Cosponsor the National Security Powers Act! Win Without War. Online.
- Add your name to Urge President Biden and Congress: End Plans For New Nuclear Weapons! Sponsored by Peace Action. Online.
- Tell the Biden administration: Essential workers deserve COVID-19 protections. Enact an Emergency Temporary Standard now. Sponsored by the Public Justice Foundation. Online.
- Sign the petition to Break Up Amazon! Sponsored by Demand Progress. Online.
- Tell Congress: Money for Buses, not Bezos. Transit Justice. Online.
- Tell Moderna, Pfizer, Johnson & Johnson they must Share Vaccine Knowledge with World. Public Citizen. Online.
- Tell President Joe Biden to Extend the Student Loan Repayment Pause. Public Citizen. Online.
- Petition: Stop ARPA-H! Don’t Let Congress Fund Digital Surveillance & Human Gene Hacking! Organic Consumers Association. Online.
- Tell Pres. Biden: No new oil and gas leases on public lands and waters. The Juggernaut Project. Online.
- Petition: Pass the PRO Act and Protect Workers’ Rights. AFL-CIO. Online.
- Demand that U.S. Attorney General Garland review Steven Donziger’s case and take control back into the hands of the federal prosecutors. Amazon Watch. Online.
- Make Chevron pay $9.5bn in damages for “Amazon Chernobyl.” Change.org. Online.
- Send a message of solidarity to Brazil: Stop Bolsonaro. Defend the Amazon. Stand with its people. Progressive International. Online.
- Petition 2021 state mapmakers : No Gerrymandering in 2021. Common Cause. Online.
- Petition President Biden: Fire Postmaster General Louis DeJoy NOW! Daily Kos. Online.
- Petition Senate Appropriations Chair Leahy: Cut the New Navy Nuke from the Pentagon Budget! Win Without War. Online.
- Petition Secretary of Transportation Pete Buttigieg: Stop bigger, heavier, & more dangerous trucks! The Juggernaut Project. Online.
- Petition Congress: Stop Wall Street Predatory Capitalism. The People United. Online.
- Tell Biden: No Oil Drilling on Federal Land. Demand Progress. Online.
- Petition Indonesia: Release Pieter, Alexander and Benjamin, Facing 20 Years Prison for a Flag. Amnesty International. Online.
- Demand Facebook remove the Islamophobic ads against Rep. Ilhan Omar, stop AIPAC from endangering the lives of congresswomen of color. CodePink. Online.
- Sign petition: Hold Florida Governor Ron DeSantis liable for his criminally negligent response to the pandemic! Care2. Online.
- Tell your Senators: Abolish the filibuster – 350.org. Online.
- Petition to U.S. Senate: Senate Democrats Must Agree on Filibuster Workaround to Protect Democracy. Public Citizen. Online.
- Petition COP26: Stop Excluding Military Pollution from Climate Agreements! CodePink. Online.
- Sign on as a citizen co-sponsor to Help Save Our Pollinators and Our Food System. The Six PAC. Online.
- Tell Congress: Make the Child Tax Credit Permanent Now. More Perfect Union. Online
- Sign petition: Stop Congressional Insider Trading. Progress America. Online.
- Tell the CDC Director to Issue Stricter Mask Guidelines. March for Science. Online.
- Tell President Biden: Cancel Student Loan Debt. Rep. Pramila Jayapal. Online.
- AUGUST 2, 2021 – Moral Monday Action in DC – Faith Leaders + Poor & Low-Wage Workers. Organized by Poor People’s Campaign. Nationwide.
- AUGUST 12-15, 2021 – Veterans for Peace 2021 Online Convention: “Rising to the Moment.” Online.
- AUGUST 28, 2021 – March On for Voting Rights. Washington D.C., Atlanta, Miami, Houston, Phoenix and Nationwide.