Welcome! You’re reading the very first JoAnnChateau.com “Friday Update.” Expect an end-of-the-week review of our new posts and updates, and other pertinent news and views that surround a particular theme. For instance, this week’s theme is “The Greening.” We’ll look at the week’s green news, as well as some timeless green views.
Friday, May 24, 2019
I am in love with this green Earth.~ Charles Lamb
Green Presidential Candidates
The Progressive Candidates List of 2020: Medicare 4 All & No Corp Money! has been updated to include Green Party presidential candidates.
The Green Party is no longer the alternative, the Green Party is the imperative~ Rosa Clemente
Rosa Clemente was the VP running mate of Green Party 2008 Presidential candidate, Cynthia McKinney. Clemente may be biased about her party; is it really an imperative? What do you think about the Green Party, here in the United States? Would you vote for a Green presidential candidate in 2020?
May is National Bike Month. “Pump the peddles” for exercise and to save the planet.
A new UK study shows that a shorter work week is a win-win for both mental health AND the environment.
EcoWatch explores ethical shopping — the who, what, why, and where of shopping according to values that support a sustainable environment, animal welfare, or fairly treated workers. Data suggests that “voting with your dollar works.”
Growing your own veggies? That’s green! But maybe you have too much rhubarb and no broccoli? Try the Cropswap phone app to find other local gardeners who’ll swap produce with you.
Enjoying live theater is a low-carbon activity, but Broadway plays may be greener that you’d expect.
Launched in 2008, the Broadway Green Alliance (BGA) is an industry-wide initiative that educates, motivates, and inspires the entire theatre community and its patrons to implement environmentally friendlier practices on Broadway and beyond.~ Broadway Green Alliance
Green & Vegan
Going vegan is going green — and, instead of a sacrifice, it’s delicious! Take a look at the menu below. You’ll be drooling.
- Basic Roasted Cauliflower | Martha Stewart
- Vietnamese Sweet Spicy Green Beans | My Basil Leaf-Vietnamese-Asian And American Comfort Food Recipes (video below)
- Vegan Shiitake Mapo Tofu|A Life with Peace
- Perfect White Rice | Bon Appétit
- Vegan Cashew Ice Cream | Loving It Vegan
May 24 – Students and workers all over the world are joining the Global Strike for Climate. Go to Fridays for Future to get details. Please let us know in the comments if you’re part of the strike, and what it’s like.
As 350.org points out, “a climate emergency deserves ACTION!”
The Green New Deal
Despite conservative and establishment resistance to the Green New Deal, everyone’s talking about how it should work. Do you think we’ll hammer out the details, and actually set it in motion?
- The Real Green New Deal Doesn’t Belong to AOC | Bloomberg
- The Political Power of the Green New Deal | The Nation
- Five Legal Principles for the Green New Deal | The Washington Post
- Corporate America Is Terrified of the Green New Deal | The New Republic
- Faith-Based Environmentalists See Hope in Green New Deal Goals | National Catholic Reporter
- How the Green New Deal Can Deliver Land Justice | Jacobin
- Yanis Varoufakis: Green New Deal Can Unite Europe’s Progressives | The Guardian
- The Green New Deal Is Fracturing a Critical Base for Democrats: Unions | Vox
- What’s Happening with the Green New Deal (video) | Center for Strategic & International Studies
- Is the Green New Deal Impossible? Not If We Use Private Enforcement | The Hill
Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez informs critics of the Green New Deal of what is “too much” for her.
Don’t miss an update. Get on our email list…
6 thoughts on “The Greening – Friday Update”
Thanks for the update, JoAnn. Lots of good stuff here to explore further.
Thanks, Rosaliene. Have a great weekend.
It is not easy being green…so says Kermit The Frog.
And yet he does an excellent job of it. 🙂
A fabulous compendium of the week’s green news!
🙂 Hope your having a great weekend.